National Bagel and Lox Day
Five things you should know about
Bagels and Lox
- The word Bagel is often thought to have derived from the ‘buckle‘ shape it has, but actually it is from a Yiddish word ‘beygl‘ meaning ring or hole.
- Bagels are one of the few breads that are boiled then baked. creating the sought inside while retaining a crisp exterior.
- Over a Billion dollars a year are spent on bagels in the US alone.
- The top selling bagels are Plain(#1), Whole Wheat(#2) and Sesame Seed(#3)
- Originally bagels were baked and sold by street vendors. They would have been carried around on a long string draped over the sellers’ shoulders.
On This Day in Food History…
1870 The creation of the U.S. Weather Service (National Weather Service) was authorized by Congress
1889 The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) was established as…
View original post 186 more words